The Torre del Gardello, completed in 1370, stands probably on the foundations of an old watchtower at the crossing between the two Roman roads “cardo” and “decumano massimo”.
It was built at behest of Cansignorio Della Scala. Being 44 metres high, it was the highest building of the city at the time, only later overcome by the Torre dei Lamberti.
It was also called “torre delle ore” (or “dell’orologio”) because during the XVth century it housed the very first clock of the city, one of the most ancient in Europe. It was composed of a mechanical device linked to the bell, which had been made melt by Cansignorio. It shows the image of San Zeno and the Scaliger emblem and is nowadays conserved at the Museum of Castelvecchio.
Torre del Gardello
Piazza Erbe, 38 ( Directions )